Monday, January 14, 2008

The Lazy Man's Day

Today we had what my son refers to as a “Lazy Man’s Day”. They happen occasionally, maybe twice a month, more often in cold weather.
It looks something like this; we get up later than usual, hang around in our pajamas, and basically spend the day reading, writing, playing games and watching movies, without ever leaving the house. What you might hear are siblings engaged in sibling rivalry, the spin cycle on the washer, the clicking of the keyboard, the TV and the word “Mommy” tossed around ad nauseam. What you might smell would be coffee, pancakes, and lots of clean (unfolded) laundry.
This could sound like a typical Sunday back in the sixties, but I have to admit that’s not my experience of most other families today. Since I’ve had children, these type of days often come with one looming added element- guilt.
While other families are going away for the weekend, visiting museums, having scheduled play dates, puppet shows, music lessons, or some other cultural event,
I haven’t even gotten my kids dressed and out for some fresh air.
Sometimes my 10-year-old son looks at me and says, “Why haven’t you set up a play date?” my answer is usually the same “I tried but no one was around, maybe I called too late in the week.” When will I get that these other kids are scheduled well in advance? I’m sure they could have put me in their Blackberrry if only I had thought to call sooner.
It seemed so much easier for my parents. I don’t remember them ever scheduling anything really… except the occasional dreaded dentist appointment.
The main issue here is my guilt, why I feel like I have to do or be like these other families. The voices in my head ask: “Can my kids learn and grow in this 1200 sq ft apt? Are they getting enough exercise or fresh air or overall stimulation? Are they being exposed to enough culture and rich experiences? Am I depriving them of something?”
My voice of reason, the Love of My Life, asks the obvious: “Why don’t you do these things with the kids if you think they’re so important?” My answer: “Because I don’t really want to, and the kids would know that and that’s NOT the message I want to send to them.” I.E. - Just do things you don’t want to do, because you think it’s the right thing and not the thing your heart moves you to do.
The LOMF nods knowingly, adding: “The kids get plenty of history, culturalization (including the dreaded museum trips), and running around time at school. What’s wrong with home being the oasis where they can have some needed down time, while occasionally basking in the wisdom and loving energy of their parents.”
So there you have it, it’s the guilt here that’s the problem, not whether or not we have a lazy man’s day. I’ll have to work on it.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online