Friday, October 12, 2007

Addressing Change

I'm looking to change my address, and I say it this way because I'm not looking for a home insomuch as I'm looking to take my home to a new address. I have learned a great life lesson I would like to share.
Three years ago, my husband and I separated, at the time our children were 3 and 7. We agreed, (with some hesitation on my part), to share custody as a 50/50 split, at the time we owned a very large Brownstone in Park Slope. My ex was determined and able to afford to buy the house from me, and although I thought I would have liked to have stayed in the house (after living through a 3 year renovation), financially it was out of my reach, so he stayed in the house and I left to find a new home for me and my kids. It was the peek of the real estate boom and almost everything I looked at was out of my price range. Determined to create a warm loving and equally comfortable environment as the one we had created on Carroll St., I set out to find my duplicate house. It wasn't long before I realized I was unable to duplicate what I had previously so I began looking at real estate more as an investment that could get me to the next level of being able to afford a "better property" if I were savvy enough and had the patience and the fortitude to stick it out. Since that time, November 2004, we have moved 3 times. If anyone told me I would have moved three times in 3 years, with two children, I would have responded with disbelief and horror, knowing how hard it is to move and how physically and emotionally draining it can be. The whole time staying within the same school district so as not to disrupt that flow, while keeping in close vicinity to their father's house. Whew!
Here's what I learned; If we as adults acknowledge and convey the positive in what we're doing that's what children see and respond to; Children are naturally inquisitive and adventurous and are experts at injecting a spirit of play in what ever they do; Lastly, and not least, a home is not the four walls you live in but more about how you live. What I thought might be a disaster turned out to be more of an adventure. Now that we have decided to leave Brooklyn I have every intention of taking it with us. By "it" I mean our essence, and energy, our connectedness, our rituals, creativity and relationship to each other and our surroundings, all these things that are infused with our love. When people come into our home they often comment on how good it feels and how warm, inviting and comfortable the energy is. This is us, all of this in it's totality and uniqueness, defines home

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog. I have found moving to be one of the most stressful things to do. Its sounds as if you are finally going to chose a place where your heart feels welcome while you are taking all the things your family needs into consideration. I agree home is the energy you put into a place and wherever you go that you feel comfortable in you will make it your home. Change can be hard but it is always enlightening for the spirit and growth for our soul. Life is how we chose to view it and yours sounds as if you will always find the positive which is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I just posted previously. My husband just asked for a separation out of the blue. I am devastated and have 2 young children. How were you able to survive the moves and the separation?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online